Blah Blah Blog

inane ramblings in order to discover something...or just kill time

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Today, on my first trail run in 2 weeks, and my first run over 3 miles since last Sunday's marathon (of 1 1/2 hours), I noticed a couple of things about hikers...

Firstly: Men like to pick up large sticks and carry them. I'm not certain if this is something left over from childhood, or perhaps genetically we feel we must do in the wild to protect ourselves, but I'd say about 20% of the men I come across hiking have either brought with them a large walking stick, or have gathered one from the trail. They all look like little Moseses

Secondly: Sometimes, when couples of Asian descent go hiking together, "together" is only in theory. Not once, not twice, but thrice today, I passed older Asian couples on hikes, and the man was a good 20 feet ahead of the woman each time. I then realized that I'd seen this dozens of times before: The man silently strides ahead, his hands tucked behind his back, and the woman struggles on behind him. Again, I don't know if this is an evolutionary "I'll walk ahead and make sure the path is safe" or what. It did give me something ponder as I sat at the counter of Jerry's Deli post-run, chowing down on a turkey Louisiana Burger and fries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home