So I'm on this temp job assigment, packing boxes with files for this poor, wonderful woman who's an assistant to an exec in *HUGE MOVIE COMPANY* Film Distribution, and all day I'm eyeing official paperwork, executed in Word, or Excel, tossing out old dates and filing later ones, and I come across one (from what I recall) handwritten in clumsy cursive on a piece of notebook paper:
"...Dear Mark,
I know that this sounds like someone who is on his knees begging for forgiveness, but you and I did business in '68 and '69 at *INCREDIBLY HUGE STUDIO*. The new movie theater in Paris, Texas is taking away my business. I know I owe your *HUGE MOVIE COMPANY* almost $1,000, but can I have please have a flat rate, like we had back then?"
This was scrawled in 1998 by some poor, suffering, movie-theater-owning bastard at the end of his rope, who knows he's about to be shut down by big, corporate business. Desperate. Alone. Fretting and suffering.
The next memo note in the file from the big, corporate exec?....
"Demand owed funds".
Christ, this world sometimes, eh?
"...Dear Mark,
I know that this sounds like someone who is on his knees begging for forgiveness, but you and I did business in '68 and '69 at *INCREDIBLY HUGE STUDIO*. The new movie theater in Paris, Texas is taking away my business. I know I owe your *HUGE MOVIE COMPANY* almost $1,000, but can I have please have a flat rate, like we had back then?"
This was scrawled in 1998 by some poor, suffering, movie-theater-owning bastard at the end of his rope, who knows he's about to be shut down by big, corporate business. Desperate. Alone. Fretting and suffering.
The next memo note in the file from the big, corporate exec?....
"Demand owed funds".
Christ, this world sometimes, eh?

1 Comments:
At 8:30 AM,
Anonymous said…
I heard a lawyer telling MPAA jokes yesterday. Funny stuff.
Post a Comment
<< Home