1993 held more touring, tooling around this here country, learning what funnay really is to people, which, is to say more clearly, getting the fuck confused out of me by audiences. I specifically recall having one of the best shows of my "career" in a roadhouse bar in central Illinois, settled in the middle of a cornfield in a two room bar with a NASCAR theme. The microphone was an old "gooseneck" style (the kind your principal made announcements on, probably), with the "on" button duct taped down, and the entire apparatus duct taped to a mike stand. The sound was, of course, amplified through the juke box.
And I had one of the best sets of my life. I think I did an hour as an opener, and the headliner did so well, he stayed on for another hour.
Conversely, some of my *worst* shows were weeknight shows at big clubs in more metropolitan areas with big-time headliners.
Needless to say, I was learning, but growing bitter.
I also began the "Crack Me Up" comedy tour this year, with my good pals Pat Dodson and "Last Comic Standing" winner John Heffron. We squeezed together in a rental van for weeks at a time, performing at colleges all over thisfucking dump great nation of ours. I recollect a TON of great memories, horrible situations, shared hotel rooms, and mom jokes like you wouldn't believe. We did 2 semesters together in that van, once driving all the way from Chicago to Sarasota, Florida for a single gig, the car catching on fire as Pat and I were mere blocks from getting home.
Thank Christ I was young.
And I had one of the best sets of my life. I think I did an hour as an opener, and the headliner did so well, he stayed on for another hour.
Conversely, some of my *worst* shows were weeknight shows at big clubs in more metropolitan areas with big-time headliners.
Needless to say, I was learning, but growing bitter.
I also began the "Crack Me Up" comedy tour this year, with my good pals Pat Dodson and "Last Comic Standing" winner John Heffron. We squeezed together in a rental van for weeks at a time, performing at colleges all over this
Thank Christ I was young.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home